Promotion of wood as key element for achieving net zero
Begin: 19 August 2023, 16:00
End: 26 August 2023, 10:00
Location: Davos, Hotel Shima
Organized by: SwissForestLab, ETH Domain Joint Initiatives MainWood & SCENE, NFZ.forestnet
Type of event: Courses
Target audience: PhD students, MSc students in their last year and Postdocs from any country in the world
The goal of the Summer School “PROMOWOOD”, jointly organized by the ETH-Domain initiatives MainWood & SCENE, the SwissForestLab and the NFZ.forestnet, is to provide a holistic view on the promotion of wood along the wood value chain. The topic will be addressed by focusing on different angles: Environmental issues (forest dynamics in a changing environment), socio-economic and policy frameworks, possibilities of new wood products, and transdisciplinary challenges (interlinkage of scientific disciplines, stakeholder dialog). The participants will reflect on their own scientific work with respect to other disciplinary methods and discuss possible benefits of interdisciplinary approaches in their field.
The preliminary list of speakers: Peter Bebi (SLF), Alessandra Bottero (SLF), Calum Brown (Highlands Rewilding), Ingo Burgert (ETHZ, Empa), Erwin Dreyer (INRAE), Claude Garcia (HAFL, ETHZ), Marc Hanewinkel (Uni Freiburg), Andrew Heald (New Generation Plantations), Stefanie Hellweg (ETHZ), Frank Krumm (WSL), Antonello Lobianco (AgroParisTech), Andreas Rigling (ETHZ), Achim Schafer (FOEN), René Steiger (Empa), Esther Thürig (WSL).
You can find a preliminary program and more details in our flyer.
Application and registration
- The Summer School is open to PhD students, MSc students in their last year and PostDocs in forest research and related disciplines from any country in the world.
- Please register here: https://conf.wsl.ch/swiss_forest_lab_2023_2.8
- For registration, please provide your CV, a motivation letter (one A4 page) and an abstract of your PhD/MSc thesis or your current project.
- Application deadline is 14 May.
Fees: 1000 Swiss Francs (exclusive of VAT). This includes accommodation (shared rooms!) at the Hotel Shima (https://www.shima-davos.ch/) and meals from dinner on August 19 to breakfast on August 26, course materials and excursions. Accepted participants are expected to bear travel costs to Davos.
- Prof. Jaboury Ghazoul (ETHZ, MainWood)
- Dr. Esther Thürig (WSL, SCENE)
- Prof. Andreas Rigling (ETHZ, SCENE, NFZ)
- Prof. Marc Hanewinkel (Uni Freiburg, NFZ)
- Dr. Björn Niesen (Empa, SCENE)
- Dr. René Steiger (Empa, SCENE)
- Prof. Dr. Arthur Gessler (WSL, SwissForestLab NFZ)
- Dr. Stefan Hunziker (WSL, SwissForestLab
- Dr. Julia Born (WSL, SwissForestLab)
- Susanne Senn (WSL)